It happens without notice. It can happen to the best of them. It’s happened to me and it’s probably happened to you also. Wandering. Questioning. Searching. Did God move or was it me? How did I end up here?
Here are 5 ways to get back on track in a hurry. There’s no specific order to these tips, just do them and see what happens. God wants us to stay the course and never give up. He is on our side and pulling for us. God understands when and why we wonder. He knows our thoughts and motivations. When we take these 5 practical steps, we jump back on the road to walking with Jesus.
1. Get into the Bible. Don’t put it off or come up with excuses. When we read and meditate on the Word of God, our faith grows and we begin to re-gain our focus on him. Romans 10:17 says, “So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ.” (NLT)
2. Call and Encourage a Friend. When we get the attention off our ourselves and our problems, we are putting others needs ahead of our own. There’s nothing more uplifting than hearing from a friend who calls to tell you they are praying for you. You can be that person. Hebrews 3:13 says, “But encourage one another daily.” (NIV)
3. Talk to God. He desires to hear from you and wants to speak to you also. When we pray to our Father in Heaven, we are communicating to the very One who created us. Part of any relationship is talking and listening to one another. Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (NIV)
4. Surround yourself with people who will build you up, not tear you down. The people that you allow in your life will rub off on you, like it or not. Choose prayerfully and wisely. Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future. Proverbs 13:20 says, “Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (NLT)
5. Serve Someone. When we surrender our selfish ways and re-focus on someone else’s needs, we discover joy and peace. Part of our purpose is to bless others in this life. We have a great model for this in the way Jesus lived his life. Mark 10:45 says, “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (NIV)
So the next time you feel yourself wandering, questioning or searching, try these 5 steps and watch what God does!!